Skip to main content

A Snapshot Of Me



Welcome to my blog! For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Jenny McCarthy. I’m a mother, photographer and wedding expert. I’ve been dying to start this blog for some time now so I can share advice, tips and tricks, funny stories and just a few personal insights with you all!


Family
I’ll start by telling you a bit about myself. Family has been and always will be the most important thing in my life. I would do absolutely anything for them! I value time with my family more than anything else.  Being able to work with families on a daily basis is a dream come true. To be able to give parents priceless portraits of the most important things in their life is the most rewarding feeling.


When I have parents in for a newborn shoot, they often comment on how maternal I am and how they wish I could babysit for them! But me being so maternal really makes the newborn shoots happen so naturally and I really wouldn’t have it any other way. Being able to get those shots of a newborn baby in the positions they were in inside their Mummy’s tummy is just so special. I often think to myself while doing a newborn shoot how much I adore my job, it hardly feels like work at all!


Photography
Most people are shocked when I tell them I didn’t actually start photography until I was 32. A friend of mine had a camera that I was constantly borrowing, I just loved capturing special moments. I had jobs before this that I really enjoyed, but nothing could compare to the love I have for what I do now. Martin actually bought me my first camera the following Christmas. It was a film camera and I was just over the moon. I haven’t looked back since then! When it comes to my own photography style, I’m natural all the way. I don’t use props or take heavily posed photographs. I love capturing the moment as it really is. When I have families in my studio for a shoot, we spend half the time playing games and laughing, anything to get those genuine smiles! I've come a long way since getting my first camera and it's a dream to be photographing weddings and newborns every single week. So many of my couples come to me in the years following their wedding with their newborns. It is just incredible to see families grow and I feel so blessed to be able to document the most special moments for that family.

Weddings
When it comes to weddings, I really have seen it all! I’ve photographed so many amazing weddings over the years that I can’t help but to call myself an expert!  I’ve been all over Ireland and have seen everything that can go wrong but along the way I’ve learned so many useful tips and tricks to help the   day run as smoothly as possible.  I share a tip every Wednesday about anything that can happen on the big day; from timing to first dances to hair and makeup. All so I can help couples eliminate any unnecessary stress on the big day! I’ve photographed several celebrity weddings this year that I will talk about in more detail in a future blog post!


The Future
I have a lot planned for the future! I’m currently in the middle of organising another wedding masterclass and I’m hoping to collaborate with some wonderful people this year and hopefully even release a product of my own! And of course I will still be doing wedding, newborn and family shoots. Lots to look forward to! I will be doing a blog post every week, covering every topic under the sun, from weddings to skincare to tips for new parents. I really hope you enjoyed my first blog post, thank you for reading!

Love, Jenny x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Booking your wedding reception venue

So you are engaged and its time to check out some wedding venues to have your reception at. My own advice is to go along to any wedding exhibitions that venues may have scheduled. Get to see the reception room decorated for a wedding, then whittle your final selection down to about 3 venues. While some venues may appeal to you both there are some points that you may not have thought about. Your photographs are all you have left to remember your special day so here are some tips to consider when booking your venue. Does the venue have any locations outside for photographs?  I very often come across wedding venues with little or no outdoor locations for photographs. If this is the case, I always recommend to my couples that they pick a location either near to the church or to the wedding venue for bridal party/family & their couple shots.  A location that means something to the couple can be a lovely idea. Speaking to your photographer in advance of your wedding day about locat

Christmas Gift Ideas

Christmas is fast approaching and it can be hard to pick the perfect   gift, so this week I thought I'd share a few of my favourite products from this year that would make a great gift for the special people in your life. Enjoy! Xx 1) Chupi I've mentioned Chupi before in a previous post about bridesmaids gifts and I have to say I just love the jewellery from her. It is so stunning and makes for the perfect gift, every piece is so special and the packaging is just gorgeous. The special treat for Mums, sisters and partners. Couldn't recommend enough. 2) Nima Nima is an Irish company that sell gorgeous makeup brushes. They sell sets of brushes that are seriously good value and would make a fantastic gift for the makeup lover in your life. The brushes are so high quality and feel amazing on the skin. Their "Build it up" eye set is award winning and I can personally recommend that set myself. They have some great offers on for Christmas

Wedding Hairstyles

Whichever hairstyle you opt for on your big day, the most important thing is to make sure you'll feel comfortable with your hair all day long. So if you usually wear your hair down and feel uncomfortable wearing it up, your wedding day is not the day to experiment! No matter how stunning your hair is when its done if you're not comfortable it's no good to you. I would suggest you do what feels natural to you and also think about what will last throughout the day. You should definitely have a trial or two leading up to the big day this way you will leave nothing to chance. I'm going to share some bridal and bridesmaids hairstyles that I think you'll love. A soft  wave is always popular and looks so elegant. However, if you're hair doesn't hold a curl that well, some hair stylists will advise clip in hair pieces. These hold a curl no problem and will fix onto your hair without anyone noticing. You could also add a diamond pin or a flower pin to enhance you